Thursday, July 2, 2009

Adams, Bell moving in the secondary

The dismissal of three defensive players has led to a secondary shakeup at Auburn.

For Harry Adams, that meant a return move from receiver to cornerback.

“I knew it was going to happen, what the situation was,” the sophomore said. “If they needed me over there, I’m going to go over there and help the team – no if’s, and’s or but’s about it.”

Adams admitted that he preferred offense to defense. Once Aairon Savage sustained an Achilles injury that will likely keep him sidelined all season, Adams said he knew the move was coming.

The move became more imminent once safety Christian Thompson was kicked off the team last week. As a result, cornerback T’Sharvan Bell moved to safety.

At that point, defensive coordinator Ted Roof called Adams in for a meeting.

“He said I could help them over there at defense again,” Adams said. “It’s not new to me no more. I know what’s going on over there. I’m not nervous about things. I know I can make plays on each side of the ball so that’s what I’m going to do.”

Auburn desperately needed Adams back at cornerback. Adams spent the entire 2008 season at corner before moving to receiver during the middle of spring practice.

Auburn could get two more cornerbacks – JUCO transfers Demond Washington and Taikwon Paige – within the next few weeks. They would also add immediate depth to the position.

Adams said he has transitioned back to the corner position well.

“When I went back to defense, we were practicing out there, a little mini-camp or whatever on our own, and I caught an interception,” Adams said. “I hopped right back into it. I know what’s going on.”

Adams made the move after considering a transfer to another school closer to home to be closer to his ailing mother, Barbara Adams.

Adams said his mother is a diabetic and has had trouble with her blood sugar levels. She struggled getting over the flu, forcing Adams to reconsider his future at Auburn.

“My dad tells me she’s been doing well lately and he told me to stay so that’s one of the main reasons I chose to stay,” Adams said.

Adams is planning to go home to visit his mother at the end of July, before fall camp opens. Then he plans to put himself in the mix for regular playing time as an Auburn cornerback.

No comments: